"Umbrella dial" by
by H. Sonderegger,
Last Update: 2015/11/10
The runs on all Windows systems up to Windows 10, (64-bit-systems too).
The help files use the chm-format which is preferred and supported by the newer Windows systems.
The language English or German can be selected in the help-menu. In many cases
a click on the right mouse-button shows a popup-menu in the same
language. A Photo Gallery in the start window shows the different
sundial types which are calculated by SONNE.
The calculations are done for any reference year between
1300 and 2500 and for all latitudes and longitudes.
For Output all constructions are displayed on screen or can be printed on
any printer installed in Windows or saved as HPGL-files
(*.plt) or dxf-files (for AutoCad, DeltaCAD,...).
All tables can be printed or saved as text-files *.txt or
The program computes
* the time of sunset and sunrise, moonset and moonrise and
twilight (civil, nautical or astronomical)
* with time as input the position of the sun (azimuth and
* with azimuth as input the time of this sunposition
* the Equation of Time (EoT).
* tables of the declination of the sun or of EoT for any
reference year (between 1300 - 2500).
The program constructs for the given geographical position
(longitude and latitude)
* horizontal sundials
* vertical, inclining and reclining sundials (for any
* cylinder sundials (shepherd's dials, azimuthal cylinder dials, cylinder dials
with polar style )
* quadrant sundials (different types, also Gunter's Quadrant)
and 2 remarkable altitude sundials by Habermel
* azimuthal sundials (azimuthal spider dial, stereographic dial,
* "umbrella dials" (specific type of
* horizontal altitude sundials ("Basho
* (simple) ring sundials (farmers rings)
* compressed sundials by F. Sawyer (...
and the new mean time sundial by H. Hollander (...
* graph of equation of time for years from 1300 to 2500
* graph of th sun's altitude and azimuth for years from 1300 to
2500, now also with horizon profiles
Type of lines computed:
* hour lines for local time (mean and apparent) ,
* time of zone meridian ,
* temporal hours
It is possible to fix start time, end time and time interval in all types of hour lines .
In horizontal / vertical / inclining sundials, in "umbrella
dials" and some types of cylinder dials it is possible to show additionally
* Babylonian hours
* Italian hours
* Lines for the sun's altitude
* a table with the angles of the hour-lines for true solar time
Of course it is possible to fix start time, end time and
interval of these lines.
In horizontal / vertical / inclining sundials and in umbrella
sundials it is also possible to print the coordinates of the
constructions. Instead of printing the coordinates you
can save all data as ASCII-text-file *.txt or as Excel-file *.csv.